the art of gardening

I have never actually potted a plant myself. That's what Lowe's, Home Depot and other fine gardening stores are for. Not only that, I have never actually not killed every plant that I have purchased, been given or found and decided to put in my place.

This being said, I have found myself wanting to prune, sheer and pot my way into gardening glory today. Not really sure why, maybe covering the beautifully blossoming tulips yesterday for my friend before the freeze did it. Whatever the cause, I got home today and wanted to try my green little hands at potting some seeds I was given.

Maybe my impatience has led to my strong disliking for caring for the plants that end up dried up, brown that turn into dust from my lack of T.L.C. and water. I'm not all bad--let's see there's the nice pots, check. Potting soil, check. Finding a nice location in the house for the plant, check. The rest gets a bit blurry. Confusion sets in once the plant is potted. How often do I water? Is it getting enough glorious sunlight? Too much? Do I need to talk to it? They say a plant responds to personal interaction. CO2 more like it.


(The ivy and whatever that is in the middle are new, just give me a few months to kill 'em.)

Well, in about 40-55 days, I should have a few pots of goodies coming up. I've got an experiment going now, you see I left one in the house with moderate light, the other on the back porch where sunlight is inevitable all day long. I'm sort of excited on the idea of seeing the little seedlings hatching and making a pretty flower. Is that all gardening is about? I mean, aside for growing stuff to sustain life. That would be a sure-fire way to loose some weight. Grow your own food... sure thing. Give me six months!

Hopefully my pots won't look like this in 3 months and instead Nasturtium will be blooming! Happy Spring!

Popular Posts