solitary by Klimt


Seated Woman, with Open Legs, 1916/17
Pencil, red crayon, highlighted in white,
57 x 38 cm
Oil on canvas, Austria

Sitting over coffee this morning with my lifelong friend and confidant I was taken by this female form and the loveliness of her face. Klimt has been described as a great "psychologist of womanhood" yet consisted mainly of erotic and sexual enjoyment-no more. They say that the type of art you are naturally drawn to liking says a lot about how you live your life. Up to this point, I have lived alone, worked in a city without family and had no real attachments to things, so I must say that seems about right. I am drawn to single images of a person not a group, making solitary moves...

This sketch was really beautiful to me and I wanted to share. The 25th Anniversary book of KLIMT by Taschen was picked up on a sunny day in LA at the Grove...love that store!

Popular Posts