a nostalgic night out

I had a mind-boggling moment at Metro Grill. While sitting at the bar with my besty last Thursday a group of gentlemen just happened to strike up a conversation that took a surprising turn. Although the discussion began with the usual mindless chatter that went from our ages to what we "do" , eventually our talks turned to something much more significant.  Going out is always fun simply due to the fact that you never know who you're going to meet, especially since moving back to my hometown.  My mindset is often wrong in assuming that I am still living elsewhere, not ever knowing anyone that knows me, or my family. Not Thursday.  This group of friends all went to the same high school that I went to (my 10-year reunion is this year!) and were lifelong friends who were enjoying a night out to remember a fallen friend of theirs. 

I wasn't ready for the reality of my question when I asked, "Do you know _____? They went to Glendale about the same time you did." I watched as the man's face shifted into a drunken joy that I wasn't prepared for. "Well, hell yeah...and how do you know him?" I quickly answered with, "That's my family- he's my uncle!" The mood was instantly different, lighter, easy and honest. He loved my family and began sharing nostalgic stories of concerts, otherwise forgotten moments from his teenage years that my own family never shared with me. They knew my mother, the days of the country club, my grandparents. It was a rare treat that turned this otherwise regular evening out into a mind-altering night at Metro. 

Popular Posts