our scary halloween

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! What an event yesterday turned out to be! Don't let the nicely sat photos fool you. By the end of the night, let's just say date night for Nick and I didn't happen for fear that our only sitter would never answer our request for a night out again. The day started off great, Kalea kept yelling, "It's Halloween!" Ah, I love how amazing holidays are to the un-jaded eye of little ones. The kiddos were super excited to put on their costumes and besides the meltdown prior to and at the end of the evening, all went well.Sort of.
Holidays bring with it an unspoken level of anxiety and stress anyway--without prepping, dressing and towing kids doors to door to ask for candy. This year was Kalea's first time making her rounds and she was in a mood. I had imagined the night progressing with her loving the candy and seeing the other kids in costume with some sort of astonished look on her face. Wrong! Instead, it was her yelling for me not to hold her hand and sharply requesting "Don't grab me!" Gotta love it. Her little voice echoed down the street as my mood quickly turned sour. That and for the first time since last Halloween, I decided to wear back-breakers or as they are called, heels. Back to the crushing blow to my mommy mood: my heart hurt a bit thinking that I couldn't even enjoy one Halloween with a child who wanted me to help her down the driveways, hold her hand as she made her way across the side streets of the quaint neighborhood of Larchmont.  She's already too independent. What? She's two.

Atalia loved seeing all of the Elsa's costumes as we passed them before it got too dark to make anyone out. She sat content and cozy until of course Kalea decided to fall out in the middle of the street. Overall, she is such a happy baby, and her newfound ability to walk keeps her on the move but satisfied with her surroundings. Her bottle no longer has formula in it but she just can't part with it. She is the most hydrated child thanks to this crutch. Uh, I feel like I ran a marathon yesterday. The emotional kind. And like a traditional one, my marathon ended with tears and unrecognizable words that no one could decipher. Thank you, stress.You made Halloween truly scary.
                                                                              Boo.

Popular Posts